Friday, November 17, 2006

sandhill cranes

Something about those birds got to me. They were quiet and brown, and apparently lacking in worldly ambition. They didn’t move when it started raining. They stood there like it was their true vocation and calling to be standing on a pile of dirt getting wet for the whole afternoon. There was something going on inside those birds, but they weren’t going around shouting about it.

There are singers in Ireland who have one song they sing. Just the one. It doesn’t come out often and it doesn’t come out easily; you’ve got to be there at the right time, and the air in the room has to be just right and then you’ve got to be paying attention, because it only happens once and when it is over, it is like it never happened at all

That’s how it was with the cranes. I was looking out the window and they were brown birds in the rain, barely moving. Then one of them spread his great long wings, fanned the air a few times and leapt several feet off the ground. Just the once. It was a dance. It was the honest-to-God crane dance and I saw it from my window. It was just for a moment, and not really for me, but I saw it.

They’ve got a song, too, those cranes, and it’s really loud. After I heard it for the first time, I spent a week trying to make the same sound. I harbor certain small ambitions like that. I am plain and brown and quiet, but I do not keep my secrets as well as a crane. I will not hesitate to sing you my crane song, even if it embarrasses us both.

AHAAAAglAAACKAAAAAglAAACKGHAAA
ACKAAAAglAAAACKGHAHHAAAAAglAAACK
AAAAglAAACKGHAAAAglAAACKAAAAglAAA!


I can do the dance, too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maha sent this link to me. Since I am from Nebraska and visit the cranes often in the Spring, I was anxious to hear your take on it. I miss them in this season and can only dream of their raucous calling and awkward dance during the winter. Then I read your piece...

Majestic! That's what I call it. You have captured (and perhaps you ARE) the essence of what/who they are. Those simple little "brown birds" full of life -- full of the whole world!

I am mesmerized by them, and YOU have given them to me. A gift at a most unlikely time.

Thank you. Bless you!

GinaBug

suzanne said...

hi GinaBug!
So nice to see you here. I am happy to find someone else who is "mesmerized" by the cranes! I have seen pictures of the cranes in Nebraska, and I would love to see them someday. Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad it rings true for you.

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful. You are so beautiful. Thank you.

Miss Wu

suzanne said...

Oh Miss Wu, thank you for reading and for writing! I think you are beautiful.