Wednesday, March 05, 2008

New York on five transcendent moments a day

Chapter 1:
In which a charming shoe shine man outside of the Hotel Newton cons me out of three dollars and I am filled with joy and lightness of a surprisingly long-lasting nature...

Chapter 2:
in which my daughter and I enjoy a walk with a Dear Friend in the North Woods of Central Park and come upon an highly amplified hockey rink....

Chapter 3:
in which the music of my true love makes everyone cry and his face is shining...

Chapter 4:
in which the St. Leo's Gospel Choir mysteriously appears on stage at Carnegie Hall during a performance of Mahler's Fifth Symphony and floats over the orchestra briefly before transfiguring to dazzling white and disappearing in glorious and sudden surrender to the Spirit, leaving the audience disconsolate, with only the vision of a tortured Viennese composer and his heavily articulated pain to see them through the next fifteen minutes of their bewildering lives, which, ten seconds earlier, had made perfect sense; had made them want to lift up opened hands and shout "Amen!" as their playbills fluttered down from the balconies to the mezzanine below and the performer bios, program notes, and upcoming events were all forgotten and people in neighboring box seats embraced each other tearfully and laughed out loud at the coming of Peace on Earth, at long last...

Chapter 5:
in which my husband, my daughter and I ride the sixty-foot indoor ferris wheel at the Toys R Us store in Times Square and pretend, for the sake of the child, to be Normal People who are not in the least appalled at anything....

6 comments:

Crimson Rambler said...

wow. Honey, when you post, you post. Wonderfulness.

suzanne said...

thank you reverend rambler, for your patience and your encouragement.

Maddy Avena said...

Oh dear Bu! How I've missed your luminous flow of words! Four months is too long between blog entries! So happy to find this
love,
Maddy

suzanne said...

Hi Maddy!

Thank you for checking back in! I've missed writing very much too. I'm going to pop over to your wonderful blog and see what's going on with you....love, bu

Anonymous said...

As always your writing opens my heart.. A deep bow for this lovely, crazy, magical and most definitely transcendent trip to the big city.

Yes, wonderfulness.

xoxo

Stephanie

suzanne said...

oh Stephanie. pshaw.

thanks for reading, and for your friendship, and nice words and stuff, especially "crazy" and "magical", which I am taking with me to bed tonight, because I would love for those to be true about my writing. (Thank goodness for dear friends who see you the way you would like to be seen)

Now, let's all try to use "wonderfulness" in our conversations at least once a day for the next few weeks and see if we are transformed in some way.